Friday, October 3, 2014

Updates and New Things Coming!

Hello all!
So, ever since I started this blog almost a year ago, I have not been very religious with my posting schedule. I apologize very sincerely for that. Every week I knew I needed to post something, but I struggled to come up with an interesting post that was something that I actually knew about, and something that would be helpful to all you other writers out there. 
Thankfully, I think I have found a solution to my lack of inspiration! 

It started last week with the season premieres of most of the TV shows I watch. I was analyzing every episode, trying to figure out what would happen. And I greatly annoyed my parents with comments like, 
"That's too much character development for one episode. Something's going to happen to him." 
"Character X killed him." 
"Character Y would never do that. That's soooo out of character." 
And because I noticed these things, I noticed things that could be fixed in my own writing. Then I realized that I officially have a reason to watch TV! It's research! WATCH ALL THE TV SHOWS!! *ahem* 
Anyway, back to business. 
It was when I was having a conversation with one of my writer buddies, that all this clicked for me. I was telling her that in the midst of one of my rants about a TV show, my dad had remarked that I was like a "plot therapist". 
She excitedly said, "That sounds so cool! That would make a good blog post." 
And, because I have a flair for the dramatics and all things bigger, I immediately thought, No, that would make a good blog. 

So, if you've noticed that things have changed a little around here, let me explain what's happpening. I was never completely satisfied with my url, so I have changed it to plottherapy.blogspot.com. Originally I wanted theplottherapist but that is a tad hard to read and it also looks like plot the rapist, so that wasn't going to work. Soooo.....*drumroll* the new official name of this blog is The Plot Therapist! Here's the new header becasue I just can't stop looking at it.




I will also be changing the content of my posts. Mainly, each post will consist of me discussing a particular area of a TV show episode, movie, or book. Whatever jumped out as a teachable moment while I was watching it. This could mean something I thought the writers could have handled differently, or something they handled well. I'll do my best to switch up the formula to keep it from getting too monotonous. But this doesn't mean I will exclude any other kind of post. I will throw in the occasional post that doesn't have anything to do with me dissecting other people's plots. 
I'll also try to exclude as many spoilers as possible, and I won't be posting anything about a particular episode the morning after it airs, so if you haven't seen it, you'll probably have a week or two to get caught up. But, if I do have to discuss a spoiler, I will tell you before I start the post. 

I will mainly be dealing with TV episodes, because episodes tend to have a full plot arc in 40 minutes, which makes it easier to write about, because everything is so condensed. 
I'll also try do some older (aired a few years ago) shows instead of newer ones to keep from having a lot of spoilers, because even if you haven't watched the show, you probably have heard about it or have already had it spoiled for you. 

I hope this is something you guys will be interested in! I'm really excited about this, and this should mean I will be posting a lot more regularly. I will be sticking to my new-posts-go-up-on-thursdays mantra, unless it's something that just absolutely has to be shared before then (like this post)! 
Let me know what you guys think about this idea. Does it sound good? Not so much? Do you annoy your family by guessing the endings of movies? 

2 comments:

  1. Yes!! I love TV shows and I love the name!! Haha plot the rapist though. Wouldn't that have been great ;) Can't wait for your first TV analysis post!!

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M! I'm pretty excited about the change!

      Delete