Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Truth About Writer's Block



How many times have you sat down to write and drawn a blank?

You're all ready: a crisp sheet of paper out, notebook open, or a folder waiting on the computer, but there's no inspiration. So you sit there, the blank space on your paper taunting you, the blinking cursor on your screen patiently waiting for you to start writing.

When this does happen (and don't try to deny it, it happens to everyone) how many times have you been known to say, "Well, I had Writer's Block today. It was just too bad. I really wanted to get something done."

*guiltily raises hand*

As much as I hate to admit it, I have said those exact words.

But that was before I came to realize the harsh truth.

Writer's Block is a farce.

It simply doesn't exist.

"What?" , you may be thinking, "But, Olivia, that's impossible. I've had Writer's Block before. I've been under the influence. Sorry, but, I don't believe you."

Let's look at the facts.

The definition that came up when I googled Writer's Block was this, the condition of being unable to think of what to write or how to proceed with writing.

So, yes, you may think that you're suffering from Writer's Block, but you're not. Because, as I said before, it doesn't exist.

I know, I know, you already told me, right? You've had Writer's Block, so it must be real.

Not so.

The truth about Writer's Block is that it is just a fancy term for 'no inspiration'. And there are several very simple remedies for lack of inspiration.

But before we discuss those, let's talk for a minute about the causes of "Writer's Block".

You've been on a roll, cranking out three chapters a day for two weeks straight, when, bam, you hit a wall. There are no new ideas. No scene jumping out from around a corner screaming, "Write me!" There's no more inspiration. You've worn yourself out. Simply exhausted yourself.

 All of a sudden, you're afraid. Afraid of what people will think about your WIP. You thought it was a good idea at first, but now it's starting to feel exactly like the book you just finished. Maybe it's a tired idea; been done too many times. But you keep trucking on, that thought gnawing away at the back of your head, the fear that your book isn't good enough. That you're not good enough. And then, one day, you sit down to write, and the words won't come. You're stuck.

Either of those sound familiar? I know they do to me.

But what can you do to fix the lack of inspiration (since, after all, there is no such thing as Writer's Block)?

Start an Ideas Journal. Whenever you hear a funny story about someone's Aunt Sally, or see someone walking down the street that looks like an interesting character, or hear a snippet of conversation that sounds like it belongs in a book, write it down! Buy a cheap little notebook from a dollar store, and stick it in your purse or pocket. Then, whenever you're inspired by something, jot it down. The next time you hit a wall in your writing, pull out the journal and browse through it. Then, when something jumps out at you, write about it.


Don't listen to the voice in your head. If there's something inside of you that is making you afraid to write, don't listen! Personally, I tend to get a little depressed after reading an exceptional book. I start comparing my writing to the book, and of course, my prose(and characters and setting and dialogue) comes up lacking in all sorts of ways. As hard as it may be to resist that, don't start comparing your writing to someone elses',  because your writing will never be exactly like anyone elses'. And who would want it to be? You want to have your own voice*, your own sound. You want to write like you. So just don't play the comparison game.


Plot out your whole book. There is a certain place in all my books where I usually get bogged down. Usually it's the middle. I've gotten past the exciting opening, introduced all the characters, and set up the stakes. But...now what? This is just what I have found works best for me, but, planning out everything ahead of time should eliminate getting bogged down in the middle. That way, you know how exactly how everything is going to end, and what you need to do to keep the tension high and readers engaged.


You may not be convinced that Writer's Block doesn't exist, but now at least you have some ways to rise above it. Got any thoughts on Writer's Block? Or any tips on how to de-tangle yourself from the pits of despair No Inspiration?

*On a side note, while comparing your writing to someone elses' definitely isn't something you want to be doing, there is nothing wrong with learning from other writing. I truly believe that the best way to learn how to write is to read. Taking apart a paragraph from a novel you love can really be an eye-opening experience. So, study the books you love. But don't compare your own writing to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment